An experienced outdoorsman invites his friend to join him for a hike. The friend has done very little hiking, so he's nervous about the experience. As they start up the trail, he turns to his experienced friend and asks, "What do we do if we see a bear?"
- What are we trying to achieve? What problem are we trying to solve?
- What's the best and most reasonable solution that we can accomplish now?
- What are the risks?
- Are those risks real or hypothetical? What's the likelihood that they'll occur?
- If something does go wrong, what's the impact and how could we mitigate it?
- Given all this, what's the reasonable solution? Where does the work stop adding value and just start protecting against 1% problems?