Time to go the distance

Spring is in the air (finally), and this young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of... mileage.

It's time to dust off the bike shorts, grease up the chain, and start riding. Actually, it's been that time for about a month now, but now is when it gets fun because now it gets real. The Best Buddies Hyannisport Challenge is only five weeks away, and I'm preparing to ride 100 miles on May 30 to raise money for Best Buddies International. This weekend, my weekend training distance will be 45 miles, and I'll be adding another 5 miles every week until the end of the month.

This will be my fifth year riding with the Patriot Pedalers in the Best Buddies Hyannisport Challenge, and I've recorded the experience here on this blog:
Best Buddies is a non-profit organization founded by Anthony Kennedy Shriver in 1989, dedicated to helping people with intellectual disabilities form friendships and find jobs in their community. It has been integral to the lives of our team captain, Danny Watt, and his family for years. Their son Aaron, who is mentally challenged, has been blessed by Best Buddies in his school and in his life, and I am thrilled for the opportunity to help them reach out to other families in the same way.

If you're interested in supporting my own special brand of crazy, please do. This year, I'm hoping to raise $2,500. I am looking for donations of all sizes, either a predetermined amount or a per mile amount. I know that times are tougher this year for many people than they have been in the past, but in tough times the people on the margins of society often suffer the most, so I feel that it is more important than ever to support the great work that Best Buddies is doing.

Ideas:
$0.50 a mile = $50.00
$1.00 a mile = $100.00
$2.00 a mile = $200.00 (This entitles you to a letter from Anthony Shriver, and one raffle ticket for a chance to win two tickets to the Victory Celebration on May 17 in Hyannis Port)

Follow this link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support Best Buddies International

Unlike many fundraisers, 100% of the funds I raise will go directly to Best Buddies. Any contribution you can spare will go a long way to my achieving this goal.

As in previous years, my supporters get an added benefit: everyone who supports me will receive a personal bound* copy of my ride log before it's posted to the blog, allowing you to share the pain, humor, and pathos of 100 miles and 6+ hours spent on a very narrow seat. The worse the weather gets, the more entertaining the read, or so I'm told, so pray for rain if you want to be entertained.



* - if you print out the email, take it to Kinko's, and ask them to bind it for you
Post a Comment

Top Posts

Trump won. Now what?

Cleanup in aisle 2016!

Marking Time