I start a new job in two weeks. Last Friday, I told my team that I was leaving, and there was a stunned silence for a couple of minutes. While it made me sad, that also made me proud, because they didn't want me to leave. It seems better than variations on, "Well, duh! I mean, when was the last time you did anything other than surf the net, anyway?"

I also realized that this was the first time anyone had voluntarily left in a very long time. I think people had forgotten you were allowed to do that.

This got me thinking about the various reactions you could get from people when you announce that you're leaving a job:

The Boss:

Good: "This will be a great loss to the company. Is there anything I could do to convince you to stay?"
Bad: "All right! I met my quarterly goals 2 months early!"

Your peers:

Good: "I'm sorry for us, but glad for you. Good luck!"
Bad: "Can I have your chair?"

Your direct reports:

Good: "I don't know how anyone could be a better manager than you have been."
Bad: "Does this mean I don't have to pretend to like you anymore?"

Your wife:

Good: "I'm so proud of you!"
Bad: "What a coincidence! I'm leaving, too!"

Post a Comment

Top Posts

Trump won. Now what?

Startups: You Don't Need a CTO (Yet)

Cleanup in aisle 2016!